lunes, 26 de enero de 2009

One New Habit A Month Challenge

I told you we're switching to warp drive. So, to begin with, this year I want to learn a few new habits. In 2008 I got used to journaling a few pages every day and I really like it. I'd like to have more of such empowering habits.

Every month, starting on the 19th of each month, I'll start practicing one new daily activity. I chose daily activities because they're easier to get used to than things that you do just a few times a week. The goal is to have the new habit run on auto-pilot after a few weeks, without me thinking about it consciously. I want to get so used to doing it every single day that, at some point, not doing it would feel strange. Like when I don't brush my teeth, it definitely feels like something's missing.

I have already reached that point with my journaling habit. I have decided not to make it a conscious goal anymore. However, when I go for a day or more without journaling, I miss writing my morning pages and naturally go back to writing them. That's exactly what I want to achieve with those new habits too.

I'll have no fixed time in the day to do it. The goal simply is to do it every day until it's automatic.

For the time between January 19th and February 19th, I am currently implementing the following new habits:

Block One:

Thirty minutes or more of fast walking every day
Fifteen minutes or more of dancing every day

Block Two:

Five minutes or more of meditation every day
Daily chakra cleansing and opening
Daily spiritual connection

I admit, this is not one new habit, it's five of them.... But you know me! Why keep it simple when I can make it complicated?

Moreover, all these are no brand new habits. It's things I was already doing, just not every single day. Now I'm doing it every single day.

Things are going very well for now. I usually walk for 45 to 90 minutes rather than 30, today it was even more than two hours. I also meditate longer than five minutes a day. But I set the target lower, the point simply being to do it every day.

I totally enjoy dancing around like crazy in the living room to some very loud music. The chakra cleansing and opening takes just two or three minutes, it's no biggie.

As for what I call "spiritual connection", I recently got a reading with Anna Conlan, and she gave me some homework to do. It's some kind of "prayer" that I shall say every day for three weeks. So that's what I'm doing. Later I'll either drop this habit or, if I like it and miss it, I'll write a "prayer" of my own making, or replace it with connecting to my spirit guides or something.

I don't know which new habits I'll adopt next month. We'll see.

Who wants to join me? Let's acquire new habits together! :-)

3 comentarios:

  1. Yeah, let's do it together! I'm gonna join you with block one (though I'm going to jog instead of walking) and with the medtiation thing.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Wow, good ideia! I think that for start, I will do some japanese learning followed by spiritual connection. :)

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Woohoo! :-)

    Nobody needs to tackle the same habits as I do, or as many as I do. You can start when you want and do what you want. I just thought it would be nicer to be several of us together in this, all learning some new habits.

    I'm happy you're here! Let's do it.

    PS: Eduardo, I'm jealous about your Japanese learning... Wanna learn Japanese too! :p

    ResponderEliminar