lunes, 9 de marzo de 2009

Grounding for Vegans and Raw Fooders

A dear friend of mine recently went high-raw and completely vegan. He told me he feels mentally too light now, and has a hard time concentrating on deep thoughts.

I know this phenomenon very well. Cooked foods, and especially meat and dairy, are very heavy. They sit in us like stones and drag us down. So when you quit eating them, you might take off like a rocket. This can be very confusing!

I had a hard time dealing with this lightness too when I went raw. It felt so unusual and even scary. I had concentration problems, sometimes I could not even hold a thought long enough to think logically.

If this is happening to you, don't worry: it'll pass. Or rather, it won't pass, you will remain that light. But you will get used to it. After a while it feels normal, and your mental abilities will come back.

What helps is to eat heavier raw foods, like bananas, avocados, nuts, dried fruit or sprouts. Depending on which raw diet you chose this might not be ideal, but it'll help you not to freak out.

Here's also an exercise I've put together from diverse sources. I find it very useful in order to stay grounded. I do it every time I feel I'm "taking off". Maybe it can help you too?

1) Stand with your arms hanging down passively. Breathe white light into your belly and then breathe out forcefully, imagine you breathe dirt out. Let your shoulders hang heavily while breathing out. Do this three times or more. Every time you breathe out, you normally sink into the earth a little bit more and become heavier.

2) Then stay in this heavy position and feel the energy in all your body parts, one after the other. Feel the energy in your feet, in your legs, ... and so on. Then feel your body from inside as a whole energy field. Feel it vibrate. Go deeper and deeper into your body. That's basically what Eckhart Tolle explains in the Power of Now and it's also the first part of the Presence Meditation I'm talking about here.

3) Imagine enormous roots growing out of your feet and into the earth, miles and miles deep, anchoring you solidly into the ground. Imagine the same "roots" but made of light reaching very high up into the sky to act as a sender/receiver for your connection to the Universe (or Source or God or whatever else you believe in).

4) Hold your hands as if you were praying and center yourself. Feel centered in your axis. If you're still floating around at this point, let energy flow from you upper chakras into your lower chakras.

5) If you want, imagine a bulb of shining white light surrounding you to protect you.

The energy healers I met said to me "The more you're grounded, the more you'll be powerful".

Hope this helps! I wish you a wonderful day today. :-)

PS: A note on "raw fooder": I generally don't use the term "raw foodist" because the suffix "-ist" is often used to designate the follower of an ideology. That's an association I'd like to avoid. For me, eating raw foods certainly is based on ethical and political reasons among many others, but I see it primarily as a simple lifestyle choice. I'm someone who happens to eat raw foods, so I'm a raw fooder, just like someone who smokes is a smoker and someone who enjoys dancing is a dancer. You don't talk about dancists or smokists, do you? :p

1 comentario:

  1. How interesting! Thanks for sharing, Bob. :)

    I don't know why it works for some and not for others. The only explanation I can see is that exercises that involve moving energy through your body, like those, raise your energy so much that it makes you "take off". But really, I don't know.

    The important thing is that you find what works for you. If engaging with people helps, then do that. :)

    Alternatively to this new-agey stuff, what I have also found to be grounding is: walking barefoot, gardening, and sitting on the floor. Oh, and avoiding electric devices. Electricity seems to make me fly away. :D

    You certainly don't have to be kind to the average person out there. :)

    Much love to you,

    Rose.

    ResponderEliminar