viernes, 18 de septiembre de 2009

Sleeping on the Floor

<- This is my bed. For several months now I've been sleeping on the floor. I love it!

I had already been sleeping without a pillow for a couple years. Then, during my polyphasic sleep experiment in spring, I avoided sleeping in my bed. I was afraid I would fail to wake up in time if I took my naps in a bed. So I slept, with my clothes on, on the carpet in the living room. I loved it so much! It felt great. After the polyphasic sleep experiment had failed (I did fail to wake up in time, with or without a bed), I went back to sleeping in my bed. But I remembered how great the carpet was.

Later, when I started developing my intuition, I naturally began to walk barefoot, and about at the same time I also began to sleep on the floor again. I sleep on the same carpet, which is now in the bedroom. I couldn't get completely rid of the bed since I am house-sitting, but as you can see on the picture I found a way to manage. I don't sleep with my clothes on anymore though. I sleep naked, with a sheet between the carpet and me, because of my sensitive skin. Sometimes I also just sleep on some blanket somewhere else.

The first night, it did hurt like hell. When you're used to sleeping on your front, and you have cup size F, sleeping on a thin carpet is a pain in the ass boobs. It was only the boobs though, my back didn't hurt. The second night, either I had found another sleep position, or my boobs had gotten used to it -  either way, it didn't hurt anymore. And since then, I've never had any problem with it.

I totally love it! It feels completely natural to me now. I have a hard time imagining how I could not sleep on the floor. It's much, much more pleasant than to sleep in a bed. And my back loves it too. When I sleep at someone else's place, and they give me a bed or a mattress on the floor to sleep on, I clearly notice the difference. Yuck. I always get back pain from it. I'm convinced that sleeping on the floor is hugely beneficial for our back and overall health.

The next step is that I actually want to sleep outside. I already sleep with open windows, but it's just not the same.

8 comentarios:

  1. It seems to me that you are moving towards a more natural lifestyle. I don't remember if you have wrote about it, but do you bath with cold(not hot) water?

    In my teens, I used to take a nap in the garden with my dog. Sometimes during that period, I have slept on the floor and not had much problem with it. And I used to wake in the middle of the night and go to my bed too. :)

    I found interesting that are people doing the experiment of going without shampoo, in a effort to live a more natural lifestyle. -> alison-andrews.com/no-shampoo.html

    With Love
    Eduardo

    ResponderEliminar
  2. @ Víkþórr: maybe in a big sleeping bag? You know, one of those that people have when they go mountain climbing on the Mount Everest? I've heard those are incredibly warm. Maybe that would be okay? The air just has a different quality outside.

    @Eduardo: you must be psychic! ;) Yes, you are right, I do shower with cold water. Actually, I have already written a blog post about that, which is in my drafts. Now that you have guessed it, I think I'll just publish it. ;)

    Yes, I'm moving towards a more natural and minimalistic lifestyle. This stems more from an intuitive knowing of what's good for me than from a rational decision, I guess.

    I can also relate to the no-shampoo thing. I still have (organic) shampoo and shower gel for when I am lazy, but I prefer to wash myself with green clay. And of course I use no makeup and such.

    Sending much love to you, Eduardo. <3

    Rose.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. sleeping on the floor fixes my back too21 de septiembre de 2009, 23:42

    i like to sleep on the floor too. i think the reason it helps is because the floor is so firm, you need to change positions frequently in order to keep from having limbs, etc, fall asleep. that and the big open space is also conducive to flopping and rolling around. they say 'the best position is the NEXT position' -- human bodies are meant to MOVE, not stay still.

    that's my theory.

    but when in doubt, do as our ancestors did is always a good idea, methinks.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hey, your theory is interesting! I had never thought of it this way. I don't know if I move much when I sleep... I always fall asleep on my front and wake up on my back. (when I sleep alone) Would be interesting to ask someone to watch me while I'm sleeping, on the floor and in a bed, and hear what they have to say.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Since the time i was 14 i have slept on the floor. Now, i am 64 and still have the same habit. Needless to add, my only sleeping partner is a dog who hovers along my feet. So, do i feel great? Yes, the freedom of space is totally liberating.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Wow, cool Becky! :-) You are an inspiration. :-) Thank you. I'm sending you a big hug. :-)

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Martin! I love you. You basically tell me that I am crazy every time you write to me, do you realize that? ;)
    The floor here is too cold to sleep on it at the moment. :( I sleep on a wooden loft bed. The mattress is thin but it annoys me anyway. My back is hurting.
    Now I'm thinking about buying one of those hyper-warm sleeping bags that people use for trekking tours in the mountains. This way I could sleep on cold floors, which would be practical. Especially because I'm moving to a new place in a few months and will use the opportunity to try out a minimalistic lifestyle with no furniture and as few objects as possible. Then it would be nice to have one warm sleeping bag anyway, instead of several covers, blankets, sheets and whatnot. :-)

    ResponderEliminar